Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Circus Ship by Chris Van Dusen

The author of this book also has a book called If I Built a Car - which we actually own. I can't believe I didn't review that book! It's on my list of books to review in the near future. He's also written and illustrated Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee - which is also quite good.

We got hammered with snow last night and Ricky didn't go to preschool today so I read this book to him. The story is about a circus ship that has an accident and all the animals swim to shore to a town in Maine. They all grow to love living in the town and want to stay. The circus owner comes to town, looking for his animals. The animals hide and blend into their surroundings so they cannot be found. The mean circus owner goes home empty-handed.

The book is written very well - in a rhyming fashion - and the illustrations are great. They made Ricky laugh at many points.

Chris Van Dusen's books are not your ordinary children's books and do not follow the usual cookie cutter formula. They are original stories that grasp your child's attention. I really enjoy his books and so does Ricky. Our book is overdue and he's asked me to keep it for another day - that's how much he likes it.

Candlewick Press, 2009.

No comments: