Thursday, January 21, 2010

Teaching Your Preschooler to Read? A Gizmo For You: Leapfrog's Tag Reading System


Ricky will be 5 years old next month and goes to 4 year old preschool. Since I stay home full time, I've taken it upon myself to teach him at home. He enjoys numbers way more than reading. He's been able to count to 200 since he was 3 and finished the preschool math website in 2 weeks - 1,400 math problems! But reading? Forget it. He just tells me flat out that "mom, I wanna do numbers. Not this."

Right now I've been trying to teach him some phonics, sight words, and concepts that will teach him how to read.

So he got this for Christmas. So far, he has The Cat in the Hat, Po's Tasty Training, and the set of Short Vowels. I've sat down with him and done the Cat and Po books and it's pretty nice. The pen will read each page to you. There is also games. I am kind of disappointed in the sense that I expected it to have an option where it reads each and every word to you as you run the pen across the words - but it doesn't do that. I don't know if the short vowels set does that yet - maybe it does. I'll have to review this again after he gets more books.

In any case, this is a great educational toy because it gets your child interested in independently reading or just simply sitting down with a book.

I'll blog again about this product later on when Ricky's used more books!

No comments: