Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Look Inside an Igloo by Mari Schuh

Am I on a non-fiction kick? Not really but I did visit the library again yesterday and picked this up for Ricky too. Same author and publisher as the previous book!

When snow builds on our patio set we refer to it as an igloo. We had a pretty good snowstorm a few weeks back and Ricky was able to hide in his "igloo." Mark and I have explained what igloos are to him, but I thought I would pick this book up to show Ricky.

The book talks about Inuits and how igloos are built. It also describes how the Inuit cook food and sleep. We found it fascinating the way they used a sheet of ice as a window - among a few interesting tidbits.

This is a great brief snapshot of an igloo but I feel like the book could have been longer. Just when Ricky was getting more interested, it was the end of the story. Still, I thought this was a decent snapshot for a preschooler. The photos were excellent.

As in typical non-fiction fashion, the book has a glossary and index at the end of the book. I also want to note that the publisher also offers "A Look Inside" a log cabin, pyramid, and tepee plus other titles as well. I foresee reviews of these books in the future if I can find them.

Published by Capstone Press, 2009

No comments: