Saturday, March 1, 2008

ELMER by David McKee


Even though this book was published in 1968, I had never heard of it nor read it until I became a mother. Call me a deprived child. I wish I had read this book when I was young, in grammar school, and wanting to fit in.

This is the story of Elmer, the patchwork elephant. He is the only elephant in the herd who is not all gray-colored. He has a great sense of humor and always makes the other elephants laugh. They all love him. But Elmer wasn't happy - he wanted to be all gray-colored like the rest of the herd. So he found a bush with gray berries and smushed them all over himself until he looked all gray like the rest of the elephants. When he went back to the herd, nobody recognized him but they were looking for Elmer, the patchwork elephant.

This is a great book because it discusses how special and unique you are - and why fitting in and looking like everyone else isn't all that great. This book would be good to re-visit during the ugly stages of puberty!!

Published 1968 by HarperCollins

No comments: